Note from Dr. Freelance: For some reason, Mailchimp decided to send out a year-old post when it sent out my commentary on the PRO Act, which you can read here: “You may not be interested in the PRO Act, but it’s interested in you.”
I have no idea why this happened. However, in the spirit of serendipity, I will do another open-line Friday–on March 26, 2021!
Interestingly enough, my points from last year have stood the test of time. I hope you and your business are doing well.
And now I return you to the post from 2020…
I had a sneaking suspicion the Universe was telling me something when several freelance peers asked me last week why I haven’t blogged in a while. My answer looked approximately like this: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. In a world awash with armchair epidemiologists and instant experts on working from home, I’ll leave those topics untouched. What I do want to do is offer a quick pep talk for freelancers out there. What am I doing personally to manage my mindset?
- Staying positive, because it’s the only thing I can control.
- Sharing that positive attitude with clients, peers, friends, and family, because I believe that’s what’s needed right now.
- Reminding myself how important diversification is. I have several clients who are extra busy, because they’re pumping out content to communicate to their audiences. One, for example, is filling the void left by canceled conferences, while another needs to get fresh data out in a fast-moving environment. On the flip side, I’ve got clients who’ve had to pull back for the foreseeable future. My message for them is, “I’m here when you need me.”
- Focusing on how the world’s still spinning. Working out in the yard, it makes me super happy to see the bees busily pollenating my citrus trees. Walking on the canal, it’s cool to see all the families and dogs out and about.
- Looking back at the recoveries post-9/11 and post-Great Recession. As distressing and uncertain as times were, we got through those. We’ll get through this.
On a final note, a shout out to the healthcare workers, scientists, truckers and supply chain experts, and service workers who are working untold hours and persevering through this. It’s humbling.
Photo courtesy of tinkthechipin on Insta, who happens to be my grand-dog as well as an intern for my editorial assistants.
The Doc is IN: Open-Line Friday on 3-26-21
In an effort to spread positive vibes, on Friday, I’m borrowing an idea with permission from my friend, Peter Bowerman of Well-Fed Writer fame. From 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. EDT on March 26, I’m opening up my phone line to everyone who wants to call me and have a 10-minute phone call: 602-616-2748. To keep things simple, it’s going to be unscheduled, first-come, first-served. (If you leave a voicemail or send me an email, I’ll try to get back to you if there’s a break in the action.)
Totally up to you what you want to discuss, whether you need another pep talk, longterm marketing ideas, brainstorming, or just want to shoot the breeze about stuff you’re binge-watching.
I’ll give the final word to OK Go. Because they’re 100% correct, and this goofy song always makes me happy.